Add Wye to Cast Iron Cleanout

Users who are viewing this thread

shotogo

Reaction score
Hi all - I'm hoping one of the pros here can answer a question I have. I'm adding a basement bathroom and will be putting in a sewage ejector system. I need to tie in the 2" line from that to my existing stack (i think that's the right term). It currently has the toilet from the first floor (it's a ranch) going into the top with the vent above that and two 1 1/2" lines going into either side from the first floor bathroom sink and tub. Can I put a wye into the cleanout of the cast iron stack and then put a cleanout cover on the end of that? Does this wye need a vent also? I added some pics to make it easier to picture (pun intended). Thanks.

Rick

IMG_6330.jpg
IMG_6332.jpg
IMG_6329.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would drill out the lead and pull the cleanout fitting. Install pipe there, with a wye for the sewage ejector, and a cleanout on the end of that.
No vent needed for that, but the sewage ejector will need a vent through the roof. You may be able to find a vent 42" above the next floor. That is six inches above the highest countertop on that floor. It's called flood level.

Any waste pipe going from vertical to horizontal needs to be a long turn 90.
Horizontal to vertical can be a medium bend.
On the right side, you have a water fitting, not a waste fitting.
The couplings, need to be solvent weld, or metal wraps to prevent the pipe from shifting. That rubber coupling needs full support, laying on the ground is one use for those. Being used in the air like that, is not one of it's uses. Over time, that joint will sage, and the pipes won't line up.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
In case you did not realize, the fitting you mocked up in your photo of the clean out is not a wye. It is a sanitary tee, which is not permitted to be used on the horizontal.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In case you did not realize, the fitting you mocked up in your photo of the clean out is not a wye. It is a sanitary tee, which is not permitted to be used on the horizontal.

Yes. That fitting has to go too.

For sure with a pumped 2" line from the sewage ejector, it has to be a wye. Not the santee shown..

Last edited:

shotogo

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Yeah, the tub line with the rubber coupling will be removed when the pipe is rerouted during basement finishing. Thanks for the catch on the santee, I guess I'll be returning it for an actual wye. Out of curiosity what's the advantage to removing the existing cleanout fitting instead of using a threaded coupling? After I remove it and clean out the lead I guess I would use a bushing or donut to transition it to pvc?

Thanks again.
Rick

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks