add subfloor in basement bathroom

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by lmei007, May 4, 2012.

1. lmei007

lmei007 Member

I am add 1" foam and 23/32" subfloor on the basmenet floor. So the floor level will rise about 2". in the bathroom, there are toilet, cleanout and floor drain. how can layout there to make them still function properly and the finishing result also looks good?

Attached Files:

2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

You will need to break the floor and extend the risers up to the new floor height.
  3. lmei007

lmei007 Member

This is a really bad news to me.
  4. cacher_chick

It's part of the job.
    The toilet flange needs to be on top of the finished floor. The only right way to fix it is to break concrete and rework the riser.

The cleanout needs to be accessible, so you could just do an access panel for it.

If you are not required to have a floor drain, it can be sealed and covered over. If the room floods, a drain will not save your new subfloor. I would be just as concerned with the possibility of the drain backing up and causing the flood.
  5. lmei007

lmei007 Member

can I use the this type of flange to avoid rework the riser for toilet?

how big the panel will be for the cleanout access opening?

Attached Files:

6. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Poor choice. Plastic flanges tend to break. You seem to think that breaking out some concrete is a huge deal. It's not. A small rotary hammer/drill will make short work of it. This is not a place for a Mickey Mouse job.
  7. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

What about adding a clean out on the vertical leg of the main stack? Is it then possible to set in a twist and set Water Closet Flange without busting up the concrete?

JW
  8. cacher_chick

I would never use any kind of a flange that just pushes into the pipe. I really doubt that it would ever pass a pressure test either.

If it was mine I would do it right the first time. If you want to do a hack job, at least do one that will last as long at you will.
  9. lmei007

lmei007 Member

I just found there are two cleanouts there. Which one plumber will use or they are for different purpose?

Attached Files: