Add garden water valve/spigot to irrigation main line

Users who are viewing this thread

Derek B

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm looking to add a garden valve/spigot/hose bib whatever you want to call it to a irrigation main line that is 1 inch Sch 40 PVC. I'm going to T it, put a reducer to 3/4 inch since this is the brass garden valve sizes I'm finding. Im familiar with the PVC to copper transition pieces. My only question:

What is the best material pipe to use out of the ground between tbe irrigation main line and the brass spigot? I understand PVC is not meant for above ground in the sun. So my assumption is copper. I will use only pressure fittings...not ready to learn welding. But the copper pipes at Home Depot that are sold in short lengths like 2 feet seem to have a very thin thickness to their walls. I fear they could easily be damaged. Should I use copper? Can I find it thicker and yet in short lengths? Is there no pipes of brass, with thick walls like the brass fittings?

Thanks!
Derek

PS I am in Los Angeles...no freeze potential to worry about.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
yardhydrant_installed.jpg

I sometimes use a yard hydrant. This one is galvanized steel.

yard_hydrant_woodford.jpg

Kinda looks like this.

Also copper works fine if you aren't in a freezing zone.
I use the yard hydrants in the Seattle area because the shutoff is in the ground below the freezing level.

Derek B

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. I've seen those, but they are quite expensive it seems.

If I do galvanized pipe, are there PVC to galvanized fittings like those of PVC to copper? And is there any concern of putting on top of the galvanized pipe a brass spigot? I know sometimes dissimilar metals are not supposed to be connected in certain situations. But that is about all I know.

Otherwise, with copper, is there thicker walled pipes or even brass pipes available?

Thanks again!
Derek

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I never use any copper tubing other then type L or K

Even though most heating guys will use M I just don't like such a thin wall for tubing

Derek B

Reaction score
Thanks. I see the Home Depot short 2 foot pieces are type M. So i just need to find a supplier for a short piece of L or K.

Thanks again for all the replies!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks