Add bathtub - second floor remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

beniciaDIY

Reaction score
Looking to add bathtub in second floor remodel. I have access to 1.5 inch horizontal shower drain line (approx. 4 ft from proposed bathtub drain) in the floor that empties into 2" vertical drain in the wall (approx. 7 ft from proposed tube drain), the main soil stack is also in the wall on this side of the bathroom. On the opposite side of the bathroom, I have a vertical 1.5 inch line, what I assume is a vent line from the downstairs bath that exits separately from the main stack through the roof in the opposite wall (approx. 2 ft from the proposed new tube drain).

My question is to which line do I connect the new bathtub drain? Can I drain and vent to the closest vent line from downstairs? Can I wye into the existing shower drain and use the closer vent pipe to vent? Or do I need to drain to the vertical pipe above or below the shower line and vent to the closer vent pipe? None of the above?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You CANNOT connect to the downstairs vent, and SHOULD not connect to the shower drain line. You CAN connect to the vertical drain line, if you do it correctly.

beniciaDIY

Reaction score
hj,

Thanks. Figured it had to be the hardest option. As the horizontal run is close to 7 ft ad I need 1/4 inch per ft slope, I assume I cannot use the 2 inch vertical that the shower is using and have to tie into the 3 inch soil stack?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks