adapter for faucet to ice maker connector?

Users who are viewing this thread

Alex K

Reaction score
hi Folks,

Hoping to get some help on the forum after a couple of unsuccessful trips to the parts bins at Lowes and Home Depot. Pictured below is a faucet valve that feeds our washing machine from the right side connector. I'd like to find an adapter that will allow me to connect the 1/4" refrigerator ice maker connector (pictured and outlined) to the left side of the faucet valve (also outlined).

I haven't been able to determine the correct thread size for the faucet side connector and am confused about the different types of fittings.

Can anyone offer advice on the part I need?

Much appreciated,
Alex

IMG_3599 - Copy (Small).jpg

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
What you should do is this:
- Shut the water supply, remove the cap and go to a local plumbing supply to size it.
- After you determine the size, get a reducer (on one side: female, the size of the cap, on the other size 1/4" male).
- Install the reducer, then the ice maker supply connector.

Without actually seeing it and from the picture, it looks like 1/2".

Alex K

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply DJ2. I tried an adapter that was 1/4" but that ended up being too large, as I understand it the ice maker tube is 1/4" outside diameter (OD), which is smaller than the 1/4" fittings I found at the hardware store.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is a gasketed connection, so it would NOT be a standard pipe size. You probably need another hose connection such as the one on the right side to screw into it.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Another "cheap" idea:
Remove the existing shut off valve. Install a T, install the valve onto the T and add a line to the ice maker.

Alex K

Reaction score
Thanks for all your guidance folks.

The friendly hardware store indicated I needed a male 1/4" pipe thread to male 1/4" compression fitting adapter. Bear in mind both sides are called 1/4" but the pipe thread side is significantly wider in diameter compared to the compression fitting.

HJ's comment about the gasket makes sense however...so I might still be stuck. I'll report back once I have had a chance to test it.

Much appreciated.

Best,
alex

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Listen to HJ. Do not try to screw "tapered" pipe thread into the opening with the gasket (which is going to be "straight" thread)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks