ADA compliance of toilet height

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnPeter

Reaction score
It seems ADA requires TOILET SEAT HEIGHT (i.e., TOP of SEAT) to be from 17" to 19" above floor. This suggests that, if all other dimensions are compliant, but wall-hung toilet is too low, compliance may be achieved with mere toilet seat change. These are widely available, with their thick beneath-seat spacers. Seat change is a whole lot easier than moving sewer pipe in wall!

Has anyone crossed this path before, and passed inspection? Does the bowl height itself (absent seat) have any minimum height requirements?

I'm in southern California, FWIW.
This is not residential, but commercial/industrial site.
Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You need two things to become ADA compliant with a toilet: proper seat height (and elongated bowl) plus, the flush lever must be on the door side of the toilet so the person doesn't have to reach over the toilet to flush. This does not take into account the size of the room nor the safety bars or sink, if it's in the same cubicle.

JohnPeter

Reaction score
I greatly appreciate your opinion and reply. The flush lever, indeed, will be on the near side of the toilet. I might however implement a flushometer, instead of a tank. My understanding (from research elsewhere) is that the flushometer must afford clearance of 2 inches to the high grab bar behind the toilet. In other simpler words, flushometer must not exist so high on the wall as to interfere with a hand that reaches for the horizontal grab bar.

I remain unschooled on the point of any MINIMUM height of flushometer, should a manual lever be employed. I am not sure if a manual lever is even allowed; perhaps a battery-powered flush piston must replace it. This seems incongruous since a manual lever is allowed on a tank-type toilet. Why not manual flushometer lever, then?

I, too, worked as an engineer in the defense industry. It takes one to know one, perhaps.

Meanwhile, the only handicapped person to ever use this toilet will likely be myself, in my old age. I might have to live with my own dictates!

Cheers,
John

Reach4

Reaction score
You know that flushometers require bigger pipes than most homes run to the bathroom.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You MIGHT get by with using one of those IR sensing flush valves...don't know for sure. If it doesn't work, you'd still have to press the override button, so it must be available. But, it would be a rare residence that could support a flushometer. One reason why wall mounted ones tend to be preferred is that it's easier to keep the floor clean - less stuff to try to get around.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks