ADA bathroom ????

Users who are viewing this thread

Maemer

Reaction score
going to add on an extension to my laundry room...want to add an ADA compact bathroom...any advice on what material for the floors and shower walls...I want a material that is the EASIEST to clean...I want wall mounted toilet & sink & NO SHOWER CURTAIN OR GLASS....drain in stall for the room...I'm not getting any younger...so I don't wanna be on my knees scrubbing the floor and walls....
Please...and I want compact!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you really require full ADA compliant, it won't be all that small! Those requirements call for a big door so a wheelchair can enter, and have enough room to get up to the side of the toilet so you can then shift yourself onto the toilet along with the safety bars to help you along the way.

Sounds like you may want to make the entire room a wet room so what you'd end up with is a toilet and a wall-hung sink that essentially are IN the shower area. Depending on whether this is on a slab or a subfloor, would mean different approaches to try to minimize the height differences at the entrance. It is possible to make it a flush entry point from outside, but that requires lowering the slab or subflooring. Neither are usually inexpensive, and depending on what you are starting with, may not be possible so you may end up with a ramp in there somewhere.

Maemer

Reaction score
If you really require full ADA compliant, it won't be all that small! Those requirements call for a big door so a wheelchair can enter, and have enough room to get up to the side of the toilet so you can then shift yourself onto the toilet along with the safety bars to help you along the way.

Sounds like you may want to make the entire room a wet room so what you'd end up with is a toilet and a wall-hung sink that essentially are IN the shower area. Depending on whether this is on a slab or a subfloor, would mean different approaches to try to minimize the height differences at the entrance. It is possible to make it a flush entry point from outside, but that requires lowering the slab or subflooring. Neither are usually inexpensive, and depending on what you are starting with, may not be possible so you may end up with a ramp in there somewhere.

Maemer

Reaction score
It will be a new build with an elevation of at least 5'. No slab. I do want it to be a wet bathroom.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
On a new build, it is fairly easy to accomplish. You need to have your contractor lower the subflooring for that room. This may require a support wall, or closer spacing on the joists, or the use of I-joists, or something like gluelams to achieve the required stiffness unless the area below isn't living space, or you can live with a recessed ceiling, but easily possible. Depending on the type of waterproofing system you choose, and I'd suggest a surface sheet membrane, over a subfloor, at the door entry, you'd need to account for a slope of 1/4"/foot to the furthest wall. THen, figure in what finished surface you want outside of the bathroom, and the approximate thickness of the tile you wish to use, and figure that as the floor tapers down to the lowest point, there it should be at least 1-1/4 to 1-1/2" thick (assuming you do a mudbed), you can figure out how far the subflooring must be recessed so everything comes out flush. Depending on the size of the room, sometimes, it's a good idea to put a secondary linear drain at the doorway. It would be nice to consider floor warming system, and not all of them can be installed in a wet room, so again, materials selection is important part of it, since that would also probably add some thickness, and therefore the amount of recess you'd need.

There are LOTS of things to consider, and this is just touching on a few points. But, planning is critical. You need to understand and select your preferred waterproofing scheme, and that will dictate some of the actual dimensions and methods used.

Maemer

Reaction score
Well the handicapped bathroom...a new & larger laundry room...and a closet...we live in a 90+ year old home...were completed Dec. 18...my husband fell on the 19, broke 3 ribs, punctured his lung...2 surgeries, 3 visits to ICU on the vent each time....and a stint in rehab...we get out today!!!! 46 days....and thank God the handicapped bathroom is there for him when we get home...
I had toilet and vanity attached to the walls...a shower with NO door...a seat...and the floor and seat are heated. As a matter of fact, the floor when on, heats the entire added 400 sq. feet. We love it!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 116

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about husband's fall (must have been pretty high up to do that much damage to himself). Was ADA bathroom going to be for hubby - or just coincidental that he will be first to use it?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks