actual door opening width

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by lmei007, Mar 19, 2013.

1. lmei007

lmei007 Member

I measured the width of my existing door panel and got 27-3/4", it is a 28" wide door or 30" wide door?

or

what's the actual door opening width for a 28" wide door? I need to know if the opening is wide enough for a table which is 26" wide.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

It's a 28" door. But, the actual opening is smaller because of the door stops. If you take the door off, it should just make it through. With it on, you'd have to subtract at least the thickness of the door.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

It is a 28" ( trade size 2-4, meaning 2'4"). Then is was planed about 1/4" at install. So your opening between jambs is close to 28", but subtract about 3/8" each sde for stops.

A table can be fudged through a much smaller opening, buy easing the legs "around the corner" at the side opposite the hinges
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Your table is 26" wide and the door opening is 27 3/4". What is the problem? The only problem would be if the door does not "swing" open far enough to give you the full opening, in which case, remove the hinge pins and put the door off to the side somewhere.