Acrylic shower pan with no mortar underneath

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY Charlie

Reaction score
I have an already installed shower pan that creaks when I stand on it probably due to no mortar under it. I have access to the sub floor under it from the basement and I was thinking of drilling a few holes in the sub floor and using a grout bag to squeeze mortar under the pan. Does this sound like a feasible solution or a bad idea? Thanks in advance for any advice.

lanachurner

Reaction score
I think it's worth a try.
You might consider using Durabond (brown bag) instead of mortar though. Durabond is a setting type joint compound - made by Sheetrock co. There are a couple of settings - 45 minute and 90 min. The 90 will give you a longer working time but still sets up in a couple of hours.
It's some very tough stuff, is semi waterproof and will flow/squeeze in much easier than mortar. Sheetrock also makes a setting type mud called Easy Sand (white bag) and often people at the big box stores don't know the difference. But that's not what you want. Durabond is much stronger than Easy Sand and flows much better.
Don't drill through the pan. Wink

DIY Charlie

Reaction score
Thank you both for confirming that my plan sounds reasonable.

Ianachurner, I'll definitely use the Durabond. In researching the grout bag I heard a lot of people say how hard it is to squeeze mortar through tbe bag. I'll also put a collar on my drill bit set for the thickness of the sub-floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks