Acrylic Shower Pan Installation (MAAX)

Users who are viewing this thread

cwindingland

Reaction score
My wife picked out a new corner shower for our unfinished bathroom downstairs. It will be sitting on a concrete slab. The acrylic shell is fairly thin and has a type of molded styrofoam underneath for support. The installation instructions just say to make sure the surface is flat and screw through the flanges where they meet the wall on the two sides. When I set it in place, it feels fairly solid but I was wondering if it should be set in something like a layer of thinset or concrete resurfacer? Thanks, in advance, for your feedback. I appreciate it.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I had one of their low end units that was thin and flimsy. The styrofoam deteriorated and the pan cracked from the flexing. Consider returning it if you still can and get one of their higher end models that are much better built.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the pan sits flat to the floor, that is enough
Something under the pan is only used if the floor is out of level, or there is some rocking.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
My wife picked out a new corner shower for our unfinished bathroom downstairs. It will be sitting on a concrete slab. The acrylic shell is fairly thin and has a type of molded styrofoam underneath for support. The installation instructions just say to make sure the surface is flat and screw through the flanges where they meet the wall on the two sides. When I set it in place, it feels fairly solid but I was wondering if it should be set in something like a layer of thinset or concrete resurfacer? Thanks, in advance, for your feedback. I appreciate it.

I would feel better about something biting between the two layers.

I have found that Grani Rapid bites very well to styrofoam but this is a premium thin-set and on the pricy side.

If you plan on using a liquid membrane and tile walls you could maybe prime the floor with some of the liquid and use some silicone. ???

Not sure I would just lay it out with nothing else - regardless of what the instructions state.

Do you have a link to the install guide?

JW

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks