Acrylic Shower Liner Repair

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by rubyburns, Sep 5, 2006.

1. rubyburns

rubyburns New Member

We replaced our stall shower with a Bath Fitters acrylic liner - walls, floor, ceiling, etc. That was 5 yrs. and 5 mos. ago - it was warranted for 5 years...of course.

A couple of days ago, I noticed a hair line crack in the base near the drain - about 4" away. The crack is about 1" long. The original tile floor was not totally flat so I am assuming that the normal "give" around that area is what caused this crack.

We called Bath Fitters and they are going to come and look at it.

What I want to know before they come out is - is there any kind of repair that can be done to this acrylic?.....like some sort of caulk, etc.? I have visions of them telling me we need to replace the whole bottom portion for what I can only guess would be hundreds of dollars.

I want to be informed as to what my options might be BEFORE they come out.

Thanks alot for your help!!

Ruby

p.s. the base is plain white
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Don't you love planned obsolescence?
  3. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

If it's not under warranty, I wouldn't shell out any money to replace anything until it really starts looking ugly. There are many waterproof caulks and glues you can use to fix that little crack. Ask the service guys to recommend something.
  4. rubyburns

rubyburns New Member

Can anyone recommend a good caulk for the purpose I stated in my first message?

Thanks, Ruby
  5. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

I like the GE silicone line. They have one marked for "Bathtub & Shower" or something like that, but I've always suspected they put the same stuff in all the tubes.
  6. cbl

cbl New Member

Etch the crack if possible and use a 100% acrylic sealant (caulking) over the crack. You may have to go to pro-paint store like Kelly-Moore. I doubt that you can find it at the local Home Depot.
  7. Dan Pick

Dan Pick New Member

What did the Bath Fitter rep say when he came out? They originally had a 5 year warranty and they now have a lifetime warranty. Stick to your guns and they should replace the tub liner.