Acrylic over oil-based - How badly did I screw up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Blown

Engineer
Reaction score
I accepted a job for a friend painting some cabinets. She provided the paint, and I was told it was the same type as the original but in a different shade of black. My mistake was that I didn't look at the cans and made an assumption based on what i was told.

The old paint was oil-based enamel. The new paint is acrylic enamel. I sanded everything lightly with a sanding sponge, cleaned the surface thoroughly, and applied 2 coats of the acrylic. I did not use any primer. Not until cleaning up did I realize my error.

How bad is this? I'm pretty sure at this point I can't fix it b/c she needs everything back together by Monday. I'm just wondering how poorly this paint will perform since I didn't apply it properly.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your previous post said you did "not have time to screw around", but apparently you also did not have enough time to read the instructions, so you screwed up. HOW the paint will perform is pretty hard to predict, although it would normally NOT adhere too well.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The sanding will help, but without a primer the odds are that you will have problems...the acrylic will peel off in sheets when rubbed or banged.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks