Acrylic over oil-based - How badly did I screw up?

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by blown, Sep 10, 2011.

1. blown

blown Engineer

I accepted a job for a friend painting some cabinets. She provided the paint, and I was told it was the same type as the original but in a different shade of black. My mistake was that I didn't look at the cans and made an assumption based on what i was told.

The old paint was oil-based enamel. The new paint is acrylic enamel. I sanded everything lightly with a sanding sponge, cleaned the surface thoroughly, and applied 2 coats of the acrylic. I did not use any primer. Not until cleaning up did I realize my error.

How bad is this? I'm pretty sure at this point I can't fix it b/c she needs everything back together by Monday. I'm just wondering how poorly this paint will perform since I didn't apply it properly.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Your previous post said you did "not have time to screw around", but apparently you also did not have enough time to read the instructions, so you screwed up. HOW the paint will perform is pretty hard to predict, although it would normally NOT adhere too well.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The sanding will help, but without a primer the odds are that you will have problems...the acrylic will peel off in sheets when rubbed or banged.