acrylic bathtub recomendation

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by jm66208, Dec 9, 2013.

1. jm66208

jm66208 New Member

I've always used cast iron tubs but am considering using an acrylic one. It will be for an alcove tub/shower combo. It seems that the drop in & free standing tubs are nice quality, but when you look at the alcove tubs, they tend to be "builder grade". Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  3. jm66208

jm66208 New Member

Tons of choices with acrylic, and they look nice. Do they all need to be set in mortar?
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Really only if the floor doesn't match up well. You don't know until you have it in the space.
    The Archer in the picture above was perfect to the floor without mortar.
    The Mirabelle, since it set on a raised floor on the apron side, needed mortar underneath. It's a good idea to have a $4 bag on hand just in case.
    I make sure I have a four foot level for the tub also. The floor may not be level, but the tub should be when you install it. It makes the tile so much easier.
  5. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple I love these ACO Shower Drains - Best in Class

Acri-Tec Tubs - Loca Vancouver Supplier

I love our tub and it was made locally here outside Vancouver by Acri-tec.

Two bags of mortar mix underneath it.

Feels solid and is a nice soaker style without all the busy face design to the front skirt.

My number one rule for buying a tub is to "GET IN IT" - try it out before you bring it home....

This is the one I bought for my family. Both my wife and I climbed into it at the wholesaler. Super comfy.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  6. jm66208

jm66208 New Member

John, any thoughts on longevity? What does the finish look like after a couple years? I hear they are "repairable" but not sure what that means. I'm considering one in a tub/shower combo for a family with six kids!
  7. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple I love these ACO Shower Drains - Best in Class

Me and my family all use this one right now. My master bathroom is just insulation and vapour barrier still. Been five of us every day for three plus years and it looks great.

Never had to repair one as yet.

JW