Acrylic bathtub & Plumber's Putty

Users who are viewing this thread

francis

Reaction score
I have an acrylic bathtub and need to replace the drain strainer. I was told not to use Plumber's Putty and instead to use silicone. Is this correct.
Francis

JDkimes

Engineer
Reaction score
I think from other threads here that the putty is not recommend because the oils can discolor or damage in some other way the acrylic.
But others don't have a problem and think the putty hold better and lasts longer. Still others will say that the putty will dry up and that silicon lasts forever which is why they use it in plastic surgery and computer chips.
What does the mfr. suggest or warn against?
Go w/ that to preserve any warranty.
I use silicon, but I'm not a real plumber, I just play one at my house.

theBigSee

DIY Member
Reaction score
I just want to point out in the ongoing "putty vs. silicone" debate that at least with no-calk shower drains, both of the mainstream manufacturers (Oatey and Sioux Chief) specify using SILICONE under the flange, not putty. As such, the debate should be moot if people want to follow what the manufacturers suggest -- use silicone!

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Silicone.

After acrylic caulk has failed me many times for this application.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks