Acid Neutralizer/Water Softener

Users who are viewing this thread

brandon1304

Reaction score
Night everyone, new here and need some insight,
Home Built in 1998 with well system 2.5 bath 3 Adults.

As of late i have developed multiple pin hole leaks in my copper pipes in the basement. Upon doing a water test i found these results.

PH 6.5
Hardness - 5
Iron - 0
TDS 120

I had a local plumber come out and his suggestion was as follows.
13X54 Acid Neutrilizer with Clack WS1 digital powerhead with discharge tube.
40,000 Grain Water Softener with Clack WS1

Total job price $2995.
($1595 for Neutrilizer)
($1395 for softener)

Was looking for some guidance on suggestion and his quote. Thanks again for your time!!

Reach4

Reaction score
Are those test results from a lab? If not, I would get a lab water test of your raw well water. I like kit 90 from http://www.karlabs.com/watertestkit/ , but it would take about two weeks if you got the test kit on order. There are two trips in the mail involved... one to get the kit, and one to return the kit. Zero iron from a well is possible, but it makes me suspect the test was not sensitive. And if the iron test is not sensitive, is the pH accurate?

If the pH was 6.5 I would consider repiping with PEX or CPVC. If you use PEX, you could go with plastic fittings, such as Uponor AquaPEX A type pipe with "plastic fittings". The acid water won't eat on plastic fittings. If your copper already has pinholes, you may need repiping even if you put in the neutralizer. 6.5 is considered OK, but barely.

Maybe you would be better raising the pH, which is what the neutralizer does. I don't know.

Was your copper pipe type M (red ink)? That is the thinnest.

I am not a pro. I have no comment on the pricing.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks