acid neutralizer: calcite or corrosex?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dgold

Avoid DIYer
Reaction score
My well water goes through an acid neutralizer tank with a timer on top. There is a line marked on the tank that I compare to the internal level with a flashlight. Apparently I need more stuff. How do I know what product to put in the tank? (corrosex vs. calcite) :confused:

Also, where do you buy the stuff? I go to the local Depot or Lowe's for Salt, but neither sells the stuff for the acid neutralizer tank.

Thanks to all in advance.

David

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can buy acid neutralizer chips at Grainger where they are $31.70 for a bag that has a shipping weight of 47 pounds.

Or you can buy limestone chips at the garden department. Just be sure they are limestone, and not something else called limestone.

Some forms of calcite, such as dolomite, don't react as easily and may not be as efective in neutralizing your water.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
BobNH, are those things certified/rated NSF Standard 61 for potable water use? If not they should not be proposed or used for potable water use.

dgold, any internet water treament or local dealer can provide the correct material for the same or lower price than Grainger etc.. You buy the stuff in cuft volumes and I'm thinking that 47 lbs is a bit less than one half cuft of "calcite". That is how it is packaged for potable water use. No big box store will carry the stuff because they don't know water treatrment. There are varying grades of "calcite" and corrosex. You can use calcite only or you may need a mixed bed of both calcite and corrosex. You have to know your raw water pH to know which you need and if mixed bed, what ratio you need.

rbrtferry

Reaction score
My big question is this::::DO THEY MAKE A SPECIAL FUNNEL TO GET THE STUFF IN THE TANK????? I CLOGGED UP THE CENTER PIPE BY JUST POURING THE STUFF IN. I GEUSS I'LL USE A VACUUM CLEANER TO SUCK IT ALL OUT.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Whoever sold you the mineral should have told you how to add it to the tank so this didn't happen. And they should have sold you a funnel to fit the tank neck opening but... you should have taped the DT closed so nothing could get into it.

About the only way you will get the stuff out is to dump the tank and take the DT out and clean it of all the mineral and gravel that's in it. Otherwise you get it into the plumbing and you really don't want that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks