Accidentally punctured pvc... standard solution doesn't seem feasible

Users who are viewing this thread

Dragos

Reaction score
Hello All,

I just got back from Lowe's after telling the department head about my problem. He set me up with a PVC expander and other materials to fix the problem. However, even at the proper size of 1.5", this expander is much wider than my current pipe thanks to its design. In my yard, the builder made the pipes run parallel, so now I need to figure out how to get at it and the best way to repair it. It is a pretty small puncture and I was wondering (forgive me if this is a newbie question) if there are any plugs, clamps, patches, or other option open to me to fix this problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am attaching a picture for reference.
pvc_puncture.jpg

Alfonz

Reaction score
PVC repair

You can purchase repair couplings however if the pipes are too close together you may need to do more excavation to separate them enough to fit the coupling. If the big box store doesn't stock them call an irrigation or plumbing supply store.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree with Alfonz. dig up some more of the pipe to get some play then use a repair coupling. Box stores usually have smaller sizes, 1/2", 3/4", and 1", but may or may not have larger sizes. Before those came out, I made repairs using short pieces of pipe and elbows. Really looked Mickey Mouse, but they worked. I filled the holes really fast after I did it so no one would see what I had done!

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is it a pressure pipe or a drain?

Is it just the size of hole that we see, or is is cracked beyond the hole.

I have repaired drain pipes and low pressure (less that 5 psi) by taking a Schedule 40 coupling, cut it in half (one end), and then take about a 200 degree sector of that.

Then clean both well, apply purple primer to both, followed by a liberal application of cement to both, snap the new piece over the pipe, and clamp it in place with two stainless clamps, taking care not to tighten so much that you crack the pipe.

Be sure that you find a coupling that says SCH 40 molded into it. If it says DWV it is NOT schedule 40.

The reason you want schedule 40 is because the section is longer (more material to cover the hole and bond to the pipe).

R

Rancher

That sounds like a plan Bob NH ! What is that small diameter open piece of pvc in the right corner of the picture?

Rancher

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It appears in the photo that these pipes are part of an irrigation system. I would not expect two drain lines to run side by side. If that is the case, then the line is under pressure at least part of the time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks