Accidental hole in 3" PVC Drain Pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Shoun, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Shoun

Shoun New Member

I drilled a 3/16" hole in my PVC drain pipe by accident when hanging a towel rack. Should I drill out the hole to 1/2" and glue in a plug? The pipe is tight between two walls and I'm not sure if I can get two couplers in to replace the whole section of pipe.

What's the best way to fix this? Does anybody make 1/4" plugs??

Thanks for your help!
  2. Does this 3" pipe serve as a vent from this point on above or is there another bath group?
  3. Cass

Cass Plumber

There are a few things you can do

1 take a hot, almost red hot, knife or similar and melt the plastic pipe to fill / cover the hole.

2 get a 1/4" drill and tap and thread the hole and install a plug.

3 fill the hole with epoxy

4 cut the pipe in 2 places about 4" on either side of the hole and install a new peice of pipe with 2 banded couplings.
  4. Shoun

Shoun New Member

Thank you

Thanks, I'll go with the 1/4" tap and plug option. It seems easier for to guarantee a joint without water leak.