access panel - is it required by code?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by cme10ae, Mar 15, 2005.

1. cme10ae

cme10ae New Member

I'm in Michigan, and am wondering if a plumbing access panel is required by code in a shower - general code I guess, I know nobody would know about my local codes.
  2. RioHyde

RioHyde Plumber

Not sure if you're under the International Plumbing Code (IPC) or not. However, under IPC an access panel isnt required (sections 408 and 418). Its not a bad idea to have one though. Anytime I replace a tub and/or shower faucet in a home without an access panel the customer wishes there had been one installed.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

access

Not required and has no purpose unless you install a valve that you anticipate will wear out and need to be replaced in a few years. If that is the case, then you need a better faucet not an access panel.
  4. And they have the newer shower valve assemblies with the large estucheons that can be installed from the shower side. No back access required.
    Mike