AC Condensate Drain Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Atulc

Reaction score
The condensate drain line in my attic developed a leak. I temporarily sealed the leaking section with Nashua stretch and seal tape. I plan to completely replace the drain soon. Here's what I found in the attic.
  • The drain line for the evaporator currently has no trap. I will add an EZ-Trap with a float switch.
  • The drain line runs for 25' from the evaporator till it exits the house. Throughout its length, the drain line has zero pitch. I will add 1/8" per foot pitch so the water drains easily.
  • The drain line is a 3/4" ABS Condensate Drain Line (see 1st picture.) I can't find this kind of pipe in big box stores. I plan to replace with Schedule 40 PVC.
  • The drain outlet from the evaporator/air handler is a very short 3/4" stub (see 2nd photo; the 3/4" PVC coupling also shown in the photo fits very loosely on the drain outlet.) The OD of the drain outlet is the same as the ABS condensate drain line (see 3rd photo.) Currently, there is a 2' long flexible hose connecting this drain outlet to the ABS drain line. The hose is secured at each end with a worm gear clamp.

AC Drain Line.jpg AC Drain Outlet.jpg AC Drain Same OD as Drain Line.jpg

Questions:
  1. How can I connect the short 3/4" drain outlet to 3/4" Sch 40 PVC pipe? I would like to avoid using a flexible coupling with worm gear clamps since it is very hard to tighten the clamp on the drain outlet. The outlet is recessed as seen in the 2nd photo. Also see the 4th photo below.
  2. What material is the drain outlet made of? Is it ABS (it is black as shown in the 2nd picture.)
  3. Can anyone point me to a repair manual for the Carrier Evaporator/Air Handler model 40GF006310 (see photos of the label - 5th and 6th photos?) Google search on this model# comes up blank.

AC Drain - Flex Hose - 2.jpg AC Evaporator-Air-Handler Model.jpg AC Evaporator-Air-Handler Serial.jpg

I'd appreciate any help. Regards.

Atulc

Reaction score
If you have this very old system then it looks like the rubber hose is the original design as is mentioned in this spec sheet.
searching for "carrier 40gf" yields http://dms.hvacpartners.com/docs/1009/Public/0A/40GC,GF-2P.pdf

Thanks a million for finding the PDF for this old unit and confirming that rubber elbow or hose is the original design. I was using the full model# in my search and wasn't getting anywhere.

I'll use a short length of rubber hose or a flexible coupling to connect the drain to the EZ Trap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks