ABS Tub Surround and CBU Adhesive

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by essjay, Nov 21, 2013.

1. essjay

essjay New Member

Before I regret a wrong choice...

Just purchased an ABS tub surround and contrary to their directions, which call for drywall to be used in the tub/shower area, I have used Durock cement board. My own preference is to NOT use any drywall in this area and the CBU is already up and not going anywhere. However, I am having trouble finding an adhesive that is recommended for both ABS and concrete board. Loctite power grab tub surround adhesive states it is NOT recommended for CBU

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/pg...r-Grab-Tub-Surround-Construction-Adhesive.htm

The only adhesive I have found in my web searching that is OK to use with ABS and CBU is a product called PL 700 by LePage in Canada. It is not sold in the US.

http://lepageproducts.com/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=82

Can I get some idea as to what has been used successfully by anybody so as a potentail 1/2 day project does not become a regrettable 2 week project when the adhesive doesnt work.
  2. dj2

dj2 Member

I think LePage PL700 is sold at HD.
  3. essjay

essjay New Member

4. jm66208

jm66208 Member

It would be bad advice to suggest you do anything but follow the MFG's recommended installation method on this one.