ABS to PVC Septic Connections

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by chuck b, May 3, 2011.

1. chuck b

chuck b sea-bee

Need to connect 3" PVC to a 3" black ABS pipe which exits an old septic system at a newly acquired cottage.

The pipe run is through a open crawl space under the cottage. Do I use SCH 30 or SCH 40 pipe. Advantages or disadvantages of either?

Also, would the 3" Black ABS pipe match SCH 30 or 40? I will of course be making my rough drain connections throughout the cabin from the PVC.

I have purchased the "Green Bottle" ABS to PVC cement. Is it true that you only primer the PVC and NOT the ABS (hearing that it dissolves ABS)?

Thanks.
  2. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Fernco will have list of products,you cannot glue pvc to abs,pvc is solvent weld,abs is glued non compatable materials. fernco might have solve your problem.
    Clay

Attached Files:

3. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

There are only two approved methods for joining PVC and ABS and glue ain't either of them. You either need a banded coupling (indoors) a non banded coupling (outdoors) or male and female adapters.