ABS to Cast Iron main drain constriction Video Help?

Users who are viewing this thread

lopy12

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm a first time home buyer and I have a question. We had a home inspection of the home and the inspector noted that the main drain was ABS but that it had a section of cast iron. There is a constriction into the cast iron and it is somewhat corroded. The inspector recommended we ask the seller to have this section replaced with ABS.

The seller responded with a video showing the drain working with: shower running, dishwasher running, sink running, then flushed both toilets. Flushed several pieces of toilet paper.

It would be great if someone with some knowledge would watch this video for a few minutes and give me their thoughts. I know toilet paper will flush but how about toilet paper plus poop? Tampons? Those "flushable" wipes?

If someone with experience is willing to watch this and explain it to me I'd be willing to compensate them.

Thank you!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Old cast iron building drain tends to fail due to the trenching effect which corrodes the bottom of the pipe until it is worn thin or worn through. It often lasts 60-70 years without any problems. Even though the pipe does not look very good, if the seller has not had any problem with his building drain clogging, naturally he is not going to feel a need to replace it. In the end, it comes down to what negotiation might be possible, and who is willing to give what.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks