ABS sunlight exposure

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by AverageMe, Oct 25, 2009.

1. AverageMe

AverageMe New Member

Hi,

does ABS deteriorate if exposed to sunlight?

TIA,
    Anthony
  2. Salesdog

Salesdog New Member

Cellular core abs deteriorates due to uv exposure, the foam deteriorates, however abs wont, use the solid abs for roof vent penetrations...

Edit: for clarity, there are two types of abs pipe you can buy, the cellular core, which has the foam inside two layers of real abs, and the real solid abs, the latter is which you want if you are going to experience any exposure to uv...
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The black color is achieved with carbon black additive, which is UV inhibitive. Heat, but not UV, may affect the foam core, but it is widely used around here for all residential, including the VTR. No worries mate.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Abs

You WILL use whatever material the supply houses carry, and they do NOT carry both foam and solid core pipe. Here, the painters are supposed to paint the roof penetrations.
  5. Salesdog

Salesdog New Member

Never heard of that before, The inspectors here insist on solid abs due to the UV and I have seen completely deteriorated cellular abs. Makes me curious if it is due to heat alone, do you have any links to where I can read about the carbon black additive? And more interestingly, about UV not attacking the foam?
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2009