ABS DWV and a PVC shower drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

NMPastor

Reaction score
Greetings.

I am taking out a small shower base, and going back with a larger tiled shower.

The DWV system appears to me to be ABS, but the majority of shower drains appear to be PVC. I've always thought that a PVC/ABS connection was a no-no.

Is there some way to make that work?

Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Shower drains also come in ABS.
I can choose whether I'm working with PVC or ABS at my supply house.
You have have to mix the two, I use a coupling like this.

mission_bandseal.jpg

NMPastor

Reaction score
Thanks. Looks like a stainless-reinforced Fernco.

I've found the Sioux Chief website, which seems to have everything in both PVC and ABS.

Thoughts on a linear drain versus central drain?

Also, thoughts on a paint-on seal (e.g., Red Guard) versus membrane (Noble)?

I know that you don't do tile work, but you've seen a lot of it go bad.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A linear drain can give you some more options, and potentially a single slope, which you may find easier to construct, but be prepared for a significant price increase. If that doesn't impact you, it's a nice option. A tiled grate verses one with metal showing is your least cost option unless you're using some really exotic, expensive tile.

Noble makes some nice products, but they are quite thick which requires some careful detailing work so that the membrane does not end up with a big buildup, especially in the corners. Also, it requires a fairly expensive sealant for the seams. It work, and can work well. I prefer other membranes.

I do prefer a sheet membrane verses a liquid. The liquid must be applied within some very specific thicknesses in multiple layers without drips, runs, or pinholes. I think it's more reliable to do it with a sheet, especially if you haven't done it regularly. Either can work.

I get my hardware info here, and tiling at www.johnbridge.com.

NMPastor

Reaction score
Thanks.

Yeah, the linear drain is hundreds, as opposed to $50 for a really good central drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks