Above Ground Well Pump Cracked in the Cold

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by mikewags, Dec 12, 2013.

1. mikewags

mikewags New Member

The title says it all - i believe my well pump under extreme cold cracked because it had water inside. Took some photos.

Based on the photos am i out of luck? Need to replace the whole pump?

Any information/advice would help. Thanks

IMG_20131210_180400.jpg
    IMG_20131212_110314.jpg
    IMG_20131212_110351.jpg
  2. mikewags

mikewags New Member

IMG_20131212_110330.jpg
    the model/etc stamp on the pump
  3. Texas Wellman

Texas Wellman In the Trades

Only two words to describe that pump- old and older. Looks like you missed that big crack in the 1st post huh?

My advice is to buy a whole new pump/motor unit. Choose a good quality pump with a cast-iron housing and not one sold by the big box stores.
  4. mikewags

mikewags New Member

Yeah, i didn't notice that crack until I saw a puddle of water under the pump yesterday. Really sucks because the thing was working fine all summer long. I really should have prepared for this weather better.

What do you think I will spend to replace this with a comparable pump?

This cold snap has been a real learning experience - unfortunately I had to learn the hard way :(

Let me know if you can suggest any brands/places to buy... Thanks.
  5. craigpump

craigpump Member

I have had the best luck with Goulds jet pumps.
  6. mikewags

mikewags New Member

As it stands now this pump is toast correct?

I'm not trying to sound cheap or anything, but was wondering if that crack could be welded back up.

I will probably be buying a new one/replacement - but I guess I'm just wondering if this thing is a paper weight now (an ancient paper weight).
  7. ankhseeker

ankhseeker Member

Cast isn't weldable that I know of. Looks like you need a new pressure gauge too.
  8. mikewags

mikewags New Member

Pressure gauge has gone back down to 0 since things have thawed out.

Any help/direction of a new pump to by would be greatly appreciated. I'm just looking for something comprable to this pump to do the job - this is just for yard irrigation/sprinklers - and there is a 30 gallon pressure tank in the mix.

Here is a photo of the current pump specs:

IMG_20131212_122627.jpg
    HP: 1
    PH: 1

I'm looking at the goulds jet pumps here: Looking to spend maybe around $200 - $400 if i can.

http://www.aquascience.net/jet-pumps/

Thanks again guys.
  9. craigpump

craigpump Member

Cast iron can be welded with nickel rod or brazed, but as old as that pump is, you are far better off replacing it.