above ground plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

notaplumber

Reaction score
I am about to try to cobble together an irrigation system for a garden (currently 30x40, but ever increasing in size and will probably be double that very soon.)

I want to put something together that is
a) inexpensive - the whole point of the garden is to save money. If I put a bunch of money into the irrigation system, then I am moving backwards.
b) reconfigurable - there are a number of permanent plantings. But the vast majority of this changes season to season.
c) expandable - see the ever growing comment above.

I would like to have the trunk lines above ground. This is mostly to make it easy to reconfigure, but also so we don't go accidentally digging them up all the time. There are some pathways where I will bury them to avoid a trip hazard, but I want it mostly above ground.

and now the rambling gets to my question... What sort of plumbing do I use here? I have seen some PVC really deteriorate in the sunlight (and this will be full sun). Is there something better for the trunk lines that will stand up to time and sunlight?

I am not a plumber here, so the answer may be that I just need to buy the right type of PVC...

Mort

Reaction score
Well, my veggie garden is only about half that size (and still produces more than I can eat and give away in a season) but I just ganged four soaker hoses so that they attach to a single spigot. Cheap....doesn't use much water and the materials have lasted for three seasons so far.

Mort

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
PVC should not be left in the sun, but it will not just suddenly explode or anything, but it should not be too difficult to make shallow trenches and bury it. When the configuration needs to change, you can just pull it up and redo the layout using a few cuts, a few couplers, and other cheap fittings.

notaplumber

Reaction score
PVC should not be left in the sun, but it will not just suddenly explode or anything, but it should not be too difficult to make shallow trenches and bury it. When the configuration needs to change, you can just pull it up and redo the layout using a few cuts, a few couplers, and other cheap fittings.

I guess I just didnt want it out of sight (and out of mind). The idea of leaving it above ground was so no hoes or shovels would hit and so it was easier to locate. (And so my lovely wife didnt plant stuff on top of it that would have to be dug up.)

tomm

Reaction score
Netafim in a small 8 x 10 garden. Currently waters every 4 to 5 days off an ET based controller.

Lifts right out in spring to amend soil.

Attachments

• DSC04106.JPG
    DSC04106.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 683

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
PVC pipe and fittings are cheap. Large farming and nursery operations consider it a disposable item. You can keep using it as long as it hold up. Outdoors, I wouldn't lose any sleep over the sun issue. Just keep chopping it us and moving it around as necessary. Add new pipe and fittings as required.

All the money is in the labor, and in things like timers and valves, which can last many years.

Mike Hansen

Reaction score
UVR PVC Fittings

Some great suggestions have been posted already but I did want to say that if you really want ultraviolet protection we sell PVC UVR Fittings that are made to go out in the sun. They are a bit more expense though. The other option with pvc is just to paint it, any exterior latex paint will give it uv protection. Good luck with the garden!

-Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks