Above Ground, Outdoor Sewage Pump System?

Users who are viewing this thread

Foxwaves

Reaction score
Hello Friends,

I have a customer with a vacation home built on the edge of a rock bluff. The plumbing drains exit on the bluff side, and the mountain below is steep and of rock. I'm going to install a typical in-ground septic tank and field line in the front yard, which fortunately has enough soil for that.

I'll need a sewage pump system on the bluff side, but there's no practical way to bury one. The homeowner doesn't want a structure built to house one because of the expense, which on the side of the mountain would be considerable. I'll have to pour a pinned slab on the mountainside to provide a level place for the unit, I know, and run the electrical in conduit, but hope to avoid a structure. I've been looking and calling various pump system companies asking about an outdoor, above-ground system with a heater, but so far haven't found one. I considered a watering trough heater, but would rather have something made for the purpose, both to resist freezing and UV rays.

Any ideas out there? Thanks; have a nice weekend!

Foxwaves

Reaction score
Is it an onsite system or are you pumping to city sewer?

It will be pumping sewage from the rear of the house to a private typical in-ground septic tank/field line system. Probably no more than 12' of lift and maybe 75' away from the pump. I've installed the pump systems in similar situations before, but have never needed an above-ground, free-standing pump. It gets cold here (12 degrees f this morning) and of course UV rays could cause some tanks to degrade quickly. Thanks for your interest.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nice dilemma, Fox.

Two doors down from where I used to live, the folks had a property at the top of the hill on a ridge that sloped down gradually in all directions except for behind the house where it dropped off precipitously. They owned forty acres in that direction, which I learned when I did some plumbing for them. At some point I asked the lady of the house where the septic tank was, and she pointed off to the south where the lot dropped off at a 45 degree angle. The septic tank was a hillside briarpatch that couldn't be clumb by two-legged mammals.

Now, I'm thinking that the only reason to run the drains to the downhill side of the house would be to utilize the downhill splash method of sewage disposal. Your customer is a real prince for denying his kids a Harvard education so he can pay for a virtual Roman aqueduct to carry away his poopy. Also, one must consider the fact that he may be starving millions of the critically endangered blue-bottle fly and other insects.

I'd like to hear back how you work it out.

Is Al Gore's mansion downhill from this place by any chance?

Foxwaves

Reaction score
Nice dilemma, Fox.

Two doors down from where I used to live, the folks had a property at the top of the hill on a ridge that sloped down gradually in all directions except for behind the house where it dropped off precipitously. They owned forty acres in that direction, which I learned when I did some plumbing for them. At some point I asked the lady of the house where the septic tank was, and she pointed off to the south where the lot dropped off at a 45 degree angle. The septic tank was a hillside briarpatch that couldn't be clumb by two-legged mammals.

Now, I'm thinking that the only reason to run the drains to the downhill side of the house would be to utilize the downhill splash method of sewage disposal. Your customer is a real prince for denying his kids a Harvard education so he can pay for a virtual Roman aqueduct to carry away his poopy. Also, one must consider the fact that he may be starving millions of the critically endangered blue-bottle fly and other insects.

I'd like to hear back how you work it out.

Is Al Gore's mansion downhill from this place by any chance?

I like your reply, my Friend! This place is an old log cabin that these city folks bought not long ago, and it took care of the sewage about the same as your neighbor did. I built a huge deck hanging out past the edge of the mountain and when they visited on warm days this Summer the aroma got to them. For the price, I could ignore a few stinky days, but then in my business I'm used to stinky days. It seems to be worth it for these folks and I aim to please. All those insects can just move next door. Oh, and from what I've seen and heard, whatever system I put in for them won't hurt their pocketbook. Thanks, Buddy, I'll keep you posted.

Foxwaves

Reaction score
Looks like you could go with a regular pump and basin. I would use a solids handling pump instead of a grinder pump since you are pumping to a septic tank. You could fill around the basin with soil to hide it. Jack hammer into the rock if needed. Zoeller does custom basins if needed:

http://www.zoellerpumps.com/pt-ea/category/21-package-systems-and-basins
Thanks, Smooky. The mountainside is so steep I'd have to build some sort of retaining wall in a "U" shape to hold dirt, but I've been thinking about that as it might be better than pre-fabbing a little building to sit on a concrete slab and then having to provide a little heat. On the other hand, on such a steep slope I'd probably have to make a removable cap over the dirt/retaining wall to keep it from washing away. As usual, I take the jobs nobody else wants, haha. Have a nice week.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Used to work for a guy who'd bid on anything: Stonehenge, the pyramids, the Grand Coolie Dam. I would end up on four rows of scaffolding in the middle of the night at the mall above row 14 in theatre #2, hooking up a new bathroom, floor drain, water fountain drain in the back of a new store on the upstairs level, six feet above the drop ceiling in said theatre.

Is that you, Richard?

Foxwaves

Reaction score
Richard sounds like a great guy, haha! So he's the one who underbid me on Stonehenge! Why did you ever quit working for such a Prince?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks