About to replace jet with submersible pump

Users who are viewing this thread

esinc52

Reaction score
Hi I just replaced my bladder tank and pressure switch. I had a 20/40 switch and the old pressure tank was full of water (bladder broken). I replaced the tank with a new 35 gallon pentair. I replaced the switch with a 30/50. I thought the new tank would allow me to get 50psi cut off pressure. The pump just kept running however and couldn't get past 40. I inquired about replacing the pump and was told that it could be the jet assembly down in the well (I have a 2 line jet pump). I was told that if I was going to go about replacing it I should go with a submersible. Does this sound right? I was told that I could fish the wire to the new submersible pump through the second water line of the the jet pump. The people I talked to said my well was probably 50 to 60' deep based on the fact that it is a 1/2 horse jet pump. The most important question I have though is... Will a new a new submersible pump give me 30/50 pressure? Or maybe 40/60 pressure (that would be ideal). Thanks for any input

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your well could be 80-100', it's the depth of where the jet assembly is set that is important.

We do quite a few of these jet to submersible conversions here in Ct and I have yet to have anyone complain, most of the time they wonder why they waited so long to have it done!

Converting to a submersible will indeed give you 40/60 pressure or 50/70 if you want it. And yes the wire will go right thru one of the two poly lines. You might consider having them slide a new water line thru one of the existing lines, the old poly isn't as good as todays material and I have seen it burst after having higher pressures put on it.

I would highly reccomend extending the casing above grade while you're at it, this makes for a more sanitary situation, a well that easier to service in the future and brings the well up to code. Be sure they use steel casing, some guys use PVC and that isn't code (at least in Ct)

esinc52

Reaction score
Hi. Another question. I am going to be replacing this pump by myself. I would like to use a water storage tank to hook the existing supply system up to while I get the new submersible pump ready. The existing jet pump has 4 lines, two lines coming in, one going out to the house, and one going out to the bladder at the bottom of the pressure tank. I was thinking I could tie the water storage tank line into the line coming into the pump from the well. I could then cut the other line that goes out to the well and cap it near the pump (the other side of this cut line would be the line I would fish the wire through).
This would allow me to pull the jet assembly, run the wire, measure the well and the water level in the well, install the new pressure switch in the line, and get everything ready before tying the new pump in while still having water in the house.

So, will this even work?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yes it will work if you have a convertible jet pump so you can bolt the jet assembly directly to the pump. This will make the two suction lines on the pump converge into one pipe that you can use to draw from the storage tank. If you don't have a jet assembly on the pump, it won't make pressure.

esinc52

Reaction score
I think it is a convertible. But I'd rather not go that route. Which leads me to two other questions:
1) What if I were to run a piece of pipe between the in and out on the jet pump (instead of bolting the jet assembly between the two) Would this work.
2) is there any way to hook the storage tank up to the line that feeds the house and eliminate the jet pump/pressure tank all together (for the week or two until the new pump is ready to go) . I have the existing 30/50 pressure switch. Not sure what I would need for a pump
Thanks for the help

esinc52

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. So that options out. What about hooking the storage tank up to the feed line for the house. Can I buy a cheap pump (not sure what I would need). And use my 30/50 switch? Would this work?

esinc52

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your help valveman and Craigpump. So I'm going to get a small jet pump with tank and pressure switch from harbor freight for 100 bucks to hook up to a water storage tank during this conversion. so after my temp water is hooked up I have a couple questions about hooking up the new pump...
1) do I just need to install a tee onto the bottom of the tank (for LINE IN and LINE OUT)?
2) does it matter if the pressure gauge and pressure switch are installed before or after this tee? (LINE IN is basically on the bottom of the basement floor. LINE OUT would basically be up near the basement ceiling and be easier to run wire to.)

esinc52

Reaction score
I am about to install a submersible pump. The pump is 1/2 hp - 230v. I am planning on using a double pole 20amp breaker with12-2 wire (regular Romex from panel to pressure switch, UF from switch out to well casing, submersible from top of casing to pump).
The wires coming out of my pump though are 14 gauge submersible. Should I use a 15 amp breaker just to protect this short section of 14 gauge wire?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why use UF? It is a pain to work with and you've already got a piece of pipe to protect the wire. We always use stranded flat parallel pump cable..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks