? about flue pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

tootired

Reaction score
I am selling my home and have a question that is on my paper from the inspector. Under roofing, there are a few minor repairs but under WATER HEATING EQUIPMENT this is what it says:

Observed light visible around the flue pipes, recommend re-sealing to prevent leaks.

I have the roofers coming tomorrow, but for the re-sealing I need a plumber, don't I?
Then do the roofers have to do anything with any vents? Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depends on the type of heating vent. My guess is that the roofers can handle it. It sounds like the boot around the vent is either non-existent, or corroded away. You don't want to be able to see through the roof! You could end up with some significant amount of water damage. I'm not sure of the requirements for that flashing boot.

tootired

Reaction score
Thanks for replying here is what it says under ROOF COVERING MATERIALS

Raised flashing above rear patio recommend resecuring
observed several of the sewer vent jacks to be damaged, recommend replacing.
The rear furnace flue jack is cracked at the rear, recommend replacing or repairing.

so would that mean they have to do something with the furnace before the roofers do anything? i remember the roofers telling me by law they weren't allowed to do something with furnace but at the time they thought i meant the work had to be on the furnace.

now i just saw this new one added under water heating equipment
i don't have a clue what type of water heater it is--tenants are in the house right now.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Plumbing vents often have a rubber boot that goes around the pipe connected to a metal flange or flashing that goes on the roof (the upper area under the shingles, the lower section on top). Those are a common thing for a roofer to deal with and arean't very expensive. Because of the heat from the furnace or water heater, those flashings need to be (typically) all metal, or some other material capable of withstanding the heat from the flue.

Unless the flue pipe itself is damaged and needs to be replaced (and not just the flashing around it), there should be no reason to need an HVAC guy do anything with the furnace or water heater - the roofing guys should be able to handle it.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
On top-out as long as we can get the boot up to the roof and on the vent the roofers will secure it to the roof.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks