? about caulking toilet bowls

Users who are viewing this thread

WV Hillbilly

Reaction score
I have read several people state that they caulk around the bowl where it meets the floor . This doesn't seem like a good idea to me . If the wax ring was to leak the water would be trapped under the bowl & you wouldn't know there was a leak untill the floor rotted out . I have also read about toilets that had holes in the bottom that were manfacturing defects . Opinions please .

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I.P.C requires caulking for sanitary reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some people leave the back of the toilet uncaulked. But even if the base is caulked, a leak should manifest itself well before the floor is rotted out: a little bubble in the lino, a wet spot in the room or crawl-space below. On floors with ceramic tile, it may be more difficult to detect.

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
I have read several people state that they caulk around the bowl where it meets the floor . This doesn't seem like a good idea to me . If the wax ring was to leak the water would be trapped under the bowl & you wouldn't know there was a leak untill the floor rotted out . I have also read about toilets that had holes in the bottom that were manfacturing defects . Opinions please .

GE white silicone all the way around, using electrical tape to mask both sides of the joint, then pulled.

If it leaks, the dropped ceiling panel underneath will tell me.

HE

Attachments

• Bathroom pics 009.jpg
    Bathroom pics 009.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 1,592

BurleyMike

Reaction score
Yep it is best to caulk it. My wife used to own a house cleaning business. She can tell you some real horror stories about what is around and under toilets, especially houses where they have little boys. If there was no caulking she could never make a toilet stop stinking.

Jay Mpls

Master plumber
Reaction score
Caulk toilets and things that come in contact with the floor and form a joint.
If you get too droonk and pee in front of the toilet instead of in it..or if the bowl goes over!!!Caulk all the way around..or you could have bugs,mold or even sewer corn start growing underneath.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
caulk

Here, it is not an option. The inspectors REQUIRE the bowl to be caulked all around it, and will look at the back to be sure it was caulked there also.

polyseamseal_clear.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks