AAV On Washer Drain Line, conflicting reports?

Users who are viewing this thread

dagogo

Reaction score
Hi, my washing machine is in my basement and I'd like relocate it. The only drain line present at the new location is the main drain (to the street). There are no roof vents within 20-30 feet of this drain and a new one is not an option.

I didn't want to mess with this so I called a plumber. He told me an AAV would be ok as longs as they used a 3" stand pipe. Great, except I thought the price was kind of high so I called another plumber. He gave me a more reasonable price but did suggest I was better off leaving the washer in it's current location where it drains into a proper roof vented sink.

When I called the 2nd guy back to schedule the work, he said he talked to his boss and they couldn't do it because code wouldn't allow an AAV because of the pump discharge of the washer line. I've done some searching here, and before I call a 3rd plumber, just wanted to see if I could get some more insight into this issue.

I've attached a photo so you can see the drain set up....also, there is a floor drain where I am standing when I took the photo. I realize this may not be an ideal setup, but we just bought this house and it's just the two of us. We do 3-4 small loads a week.

Do you think I can safety get a stand pipe installed at this drain location with an AAV? I really appreciate any input!

Attachments

• base.jpg
    base.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 838

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some come here hoping for an exception to the rules and the laws of physics...hopefully, good answers continue!

dagogo

Reaction score
Yes, darn those laws of physics!
Well, thank you for the responses...I will cross the AAV method off the list.
After remeasuring, I see the current utility sink that is vented to the roof is actually just about 24' away.
Any thoughts as to whether a tie in to this vent for the stand pipe would acceptable?

dagogo

Reaction score
Thank you and thanks for the link. I will look closer at the feasibility of a tie in to the sink vent.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Any horizontal pipe, whether a vent or drain, still needs slope to it so that it can drain any rainwater or condensation, or a backup, out of it. So, over 24', one end would need to be 6" higher than the minimum 42", or at least 48" to get the required slope. Just another thing to keep in mind.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks