AAV issue. What would you do?

Users who are viewing this thread

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I worked an inspector's list this morning; there's a contract on the house. There's a basement kitchen/entertainment area with a sink that drains into a small pump basin. Run the water in the sink for perhaps 15 seconds, and the sink backs up. Go around into the utility room on the other side of the wall, and unscrew the Studer vent and the drain starts flowing into the basin there, pumps out.

Yes, yes I know it needs to be properly vented, but there's two floors above me with high-end trim, wainscot and coffered ceilings. We ain't cutting no sheetrock.

So, the question is: can this issue be remediated at the basement level in a way that meets code?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You need a way to vent off the positive pressure. The AAV works on negative.
There have been cases where I went up to the next floor, cut drywall on a toilet vent and dropped down to pick up the pump.
In Seattle, older home, I went up the outside two stories and through the roof overhang. It was pretty scarey on the steep pitch installing the flashing. I tied myself off, but would have been smarter to let a roofer do that.

Here is the thing that bugs me some on stuff like that.
Yes, really nice home, and can you add a sink in the basement legally without cutting holes? First of all, it's not my home that needs a sink with inspection. One that drains is really nice too. I tell people that anything is possible. All it takes is more time and money. Get your wallet out.
In my home, stuff works.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The "Remedy" should be in the walls on the first floor, but it DOES require cutting sheet rock. There is no "legal" way to handle positive pressure without an "atmospheric" vent.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just call me Jesse James, bro. But I know you're right. However, it's all beer mugs and wine glasses, nothing else.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks