AAV and Vent Combination

Users who are viewing this thread

David Hogan

Reaction score
I'm building my own home in a rural area. I have a professional installing an aerobic septic system. The entire house is solid wood and it has a metal roof. There aren't any wall cavities and the ceilings are vaulted without an attic space. So, I don't have space to hide vent pipes as they rise to the roof.

If I plumb each fixture inside my house using an air admittance valve (AAV), my understanding is that they will drain/flush properly since air is being let into the system.

My question concerns the sewer gases that will need to be removed from the system. Instead of venting the fixtures in the traditional manner, resulting in a roof penetration, can I simply vent the main DWV 4" line just before it enters the house? Seems to me that the gases are going to rise at the first opportunity.

Would the combination of AAV's and a single exterior vent suffice?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
AAV's need at least one vent through the roof for them to work.
Not all area's allow them yet. You may want to check with the plumbing inspector first.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Worst case, you box in the vent pipe and run it up a wall through the roof.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks