a waste a beautiful threads -> galvanized to pvc

Users who are viewing this thread

vanhoudn

Reaction score
Hi,

So I read on this thread:

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2333

that you shouldn't attach male copper to female pvc.

Does the same apply to galvanized? I'm doing a kitchen remodel and was lucky enough to find a galvanized vent pipe right where I wanted to put the sink. Can I just screw some pvc onto this vent so that I don't have to use an automatic vent?

Or should I use a fernco (sp?) to make the transition? It just seems like a waste of beautiful threads.

Cheers,

Nathan

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The caution about female plastic threads is that the fitting is so vulnerable to stress cracking from overtightening. But then, male plastic threads can also leak from deformation caused by over tightening.

Female fittings are made, and are used. Just be careful.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
female

The problem with using ANY metal into a female plastic adapter is that ANY corrosion, no matter how slight will create enormous pressure and WILL crack the fitting. For that reason galvanized is even worse than brass, but for your purpose, a No-Hub or transition coupling, not the "generic" Fernco, is what you want to use.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks