A stream on the property, well distance?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Scuba_Dave, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Scuba_Dave

Scuba_Dave Extreme DIY Homeowner

I have a stream on my property - about 45' from my house
    Most times its little more then 3-4" deep. Its more of a large drainage system during rainstorms
    Is there a min distance for a shallow well installation?
    Of course the ground slopes off near the stream
    So to me that might be the ideal place near my shed

I'm not looking for drinking water, I want to water gardens, maybe supply water to the toilets, fill the pool, 1,000g pond system, possibly refill a hot tub, water the veggie garden
    For every gallon of water we use, we are charged a certain fee as a sewer rate for Town sewer

Thanks
  2. WV Hillbilly

WV Hillbilly New Member

Bumping because I also would like to know the answer to this .
  3. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

The vertical distance from the water to the pump is important. The shorter the better. Pipe size matters depending on how far it is to the pump from the water.

To filter the water to keep things out of the pump that won't pass through the jet and impeller will be difficult with only 4" of water. Can a hole be dug that would stay open to allow a filter?

bob...
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

well

If the ground is saturated a drive point may give the water you need and also filter it.
  5. WV Hillbilly

WV Hillbilly New Member

I think the OP was asking & what I would like to know , is there a minimum distance allowed by code or standard regulations ? The minimum distance being between a stream & a drilled or driven well . In my case my water well is less than 100 feet slightly upslope of a small seasonal stream .
  6. Scuba_Dave

Scuba_Dave Extreme DIY Homeowner

I know a lot of cottages on ponds use the pond water for household water. We have Town sewer, so that's not a problem
    A friend has some well equipment - never got it working
    I may see if I can "borrow" it & give it a try
    Just not sure what he has