A real mess

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by pick, Jul 20, 2009.

1. pick

pick New Member

So I was rerouting a 2" pvc vent and broke it at a 45 degree fitting at the slab level. Was trying to union a 4' new section between two cut sections and of course the 2" does not bend enough to get one end into the union. Question, how does one union a section between two older ones? On the net I saw a telescoping coupling. Would this do the trick and within code? I'm going to dig out the 2" drain stub to attach a new 45 but will still face inserting a new section above the slab. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
  2. SewerRatz

SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

They make a slip or repair coupling. It does not have the stops But the trick is to properly align the coupling onto both pipes when sliding it into place, and work fast before the glue bonds the coupling where you do not want it bonded.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

vent

You use a "No-Hub" type coupling to join the two ends.
  4. pick

pick New Member

Thanks for the replies. I did see that coupling at the orange box and will pick one up and give it a try. Now where's the jack hammer!

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2009
  5. Cass

Cass Plumber

Do not use the all rubber ones...it must have a stainless band that goes all the way around the rubber...making the whole assembly ridged...all the HDs out here do not carry the banded couplings...only Low*s carry them...
  6. SewerRatz

SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

Some areas will require you to use a PVC to no-hub adapter fitting if you plan on using a rubber no-hub coupling.
  7. pick

pick New Member

Is this the coupling you are refering to:

[​IMG]
    Thanks
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2009
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

coupling

Yes, although the picture is not for the one you need. The one shown is a reducing coupling and you need a straight one for your pipe size.
  9. pick

pick New Member

Thanks HJ. The vent is a "wet" vent and will be sealed inside the wall. I have two airconditioning units in the attick that are plumbed to this vent stack for the condensation drip. So is this coupling "code" for such an installation?
    Thanks again.
  10. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I've heard a few places prohibit them, but yes, they are in the national codes and are acceptable for use most places.
  11. pick

pick New Member

Thanks, we live just outside the city of Houston on the west side and only have to deal with National codes at this time.
    Regards