A question about installing a gas cut off

Users who are viewing this thread

PM5K

Reaction score
I was removing an old gas heater and I accidentally broke the gas supply line.

Actually it wasn't on accident, I didn't know gas was running to that line until I heard it coming out.

I shut off the gas (propane) and went about fixing it.

I went out and got a tool for fixing the end of the gas supply line which I believe is 1/2 inch flexible tubing (it's silver), and by fixing I mean rounding the edges of the line.

I also got a new nut and put the cut off back on the line.

Question is: Do I need to put anything on the threads? For example something like plumbers putty or Teflon tape like you would with plumbing?

I ask because the old cut off seems to have the remains of something that was previously put on it.

TIA

PM5K

Reaction score
Finally got a hold of a friend and he told me you do put something on the threads, he mentioned that they make a teflon tape specifically for gas threads.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Sounds really sketchy to me and nothing I say will sway you to get a plumber out there to insure proper workmanship was done but I will advise on spraying a soap solution on the fitting you are describing which sounds like was repaired mickey mouse like. Now where's NHMasters duct tape helmet, I need to give it a whirl.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
NH Master did something wrong with the link so it didn't work...
Here is the link all fixed and working.

index.php

May I take out a life insurance policy on you with me being the beneficiary?
Please PM me so we can work out the details.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
PLEASE post a picture of these parts, because it is not adding up. The "silver" tube may be aluminum. What do you mean by "fixing" the end?

Gas tubing is usually connected by a FLARED end on the tube, or in the case of small pilot lines, with a special ferrule arount the tubes. Teflon tape or pipe dope are NOT appropriate on either of these. Tape can CAUSE a leak. Please give us the pictures.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gas

Normally you cannot "fix" a supply line that you damage, therefore we need more information about exactly HOW you fixed it and a picture would be even better. Propane gas is not something you want to make a PATCH to because you are endangering your house and the people in it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks