A.O. Smith Water Heater problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Magneto

Reaction score
So this morning around 530 I wake up to use the bathroom and to my surprise my basement is flooded with about 3 inches of water. I hear the water rushing out of what I thought was a pipe and soon realized it was the water heater. I quickly used the shut off valve and fixed the leaking problem. I am currently replacing it. This water heater cant be older than a decade.... what could cause such a massive leak with no water running in the home?

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Depending on your water condition the life of most heaters is 7-10 years.

Reach4

Reaction score
There will be a date code that can tell you when the water heater was made.

I don't know what would cause this. I suggest you try an autopsy on the remains. If you see a point of failure, take a photo. Could this leak have started a week ago without being noticed? Water heaters leaks usually develop gradually.

If you have a sump pump, did that fail to operate?

Magneto

Reaction score
I threw it out this morning it was garbage day. Autopsy on the remains that's funny. The leak was abrupt and out of nowhere, and the sump pump is operating fine. Finished cleaning up the mess and installed a Rheem water heater in its place. Interesting to know that most water heaters only last for less than a decade. At this point I don't see a reason for installing the most expensive on if it is going to need a replacement in only 7 years.

Reach4

Reaction score
I expect most houses get over 15 years. Imagine 2 houses with water heaters that last 20 years and one house which goes through a water heater every 5 years. For those 3 houses, the average house had the water heater last 15 years and yet the average water heater lasted less than 7 years.

The gas water heater I put in in the 80s is still working, and I never changed the anode. It was pretty hard city water for the first several years, which might have made a protective patina and then 7.5 grain hardness. The pH of about 7.7 I am sure helped. Acidic water is harder on water heaters.

I am now on a well, and I put in a powered anode. I hope that extends the life. That water heater has a date code of week 3 of 2003. I flushed a serious amount of accumulated crap from the WH after putting in my filtering.

Magneto

Reaction score
Seems like you have a never ending water heater set up. lol That's remarkable that its lasting so long, good for you. I get the whole average rate of years for these devices but your talking about spending good money on something that will only work a few years. I wish this was the 90's when everything was made with much better quality like your gas water heater.

Reach4

Reaction score
I get the whole average rate of years for these devices but your talking about spending good money on something that will only work a few years.
At almost $250, I will move the powered anode to a new heater if I get one. Removal should be easy, since I only torqued it to what I roughly estimate to be 10 ft-lbs. I also used teflon tape. Removing the anode on a new WH should be easier than removing one that is over a decade old.

My motivation for the powered anode was that the powered anodes are not reactive with sulfur compounds as magnesium, aluminium, and zinc are. Those make some hydrogen sulfide in presence of sulfur compounds. I ordered that before deciding to get my iron+sulfur filter, which was also expensive. But it was money well spent. Water without taste, smells or colors is wonderful. Many plumbers remove the anode and install a plug to prevent hydrogen sulfide production. I wonder what the average life of those heaters is.

Magneto

Reaction score
You make some good points reach and I'd have to agree. Who doesn't love the taste of fresh water. I assume the water heaters with the plugs for hydrogen sulfide protection don't relatively last that much longer as you expect, but their life expectancy is definitely higher. I personally think it the quality of everything that's going down the drain.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Such an undetected leak could be the result of rust in the tank, developing into a hole in the tank.

You did the right thing by changing heaters.

As far as the life of the heaters: it's pure good luck or pure bad luck.

I only install 6 year heaters, and always the cheapest ones around, because when it comes to water heaters, there is no correlation between price and quality.

Magneto

Reaction score
Thank you dj2, I assumed that when the heater broke down and the decision was from spending 500 or 100 on a 40 gallon tank... It took me a while to decide but the rational decision led me to pick the rheem for half the price. Im expecting a good 6 years out of this one and then will probably have to do the same.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
On many WH, the difference between a shorter warranty and the longer one is the price you pay...there is literally no difference. On some, the longer warranty ones might have a brass drain valve verses mostly plastic, and might have a second anode verses only one to help up the odds it will last longer. FOr example, at HD, and many similar places, you can buy a 6-year warranty WH and pay up front for a longer warranty - think of it like insurance...no idea if you'll ever be able to collect...you might get lucky.

Magneto

Reaction score
On many WH, the difference between a shorter warranty and the longer one is the price you pay...there is literally no difference. On some, the longer warranty ones might have a brass drain valve verses mostly plastic, and might have a second anode verses only one to help up the odds it will last longer. FOr example, at HD, and many similar places, you can buy a 6-year warranty WH and pay up front for a longer warranty - think of it like insurance...no idea if you'll ever be able to collect...you might get lucky.

I realized that, and now I know how to choose water heaters. The hot water in my home has become better ten fold since I installed the new one, and I couldn't be happier to be honest. Minus the flood I'm happy about the replacement. I'll look into the warranty next time, but it probably cost just as much as paying for a new WH no? The second anode option is interesting though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks