A.O. Smith Promax 40 gallon (GCV 40) Leaking

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by Milanomike, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Milanomike

Milanomike New Member

Hi,

I had a Smith hot water heater went like 15 years, no complaints, the "new" is not quite 3 years old and leaking. Yeah, it's under warranty, so I guess I'll get a new unit (hopefully without too much hassle). After searching around, I see a lot of complaints, though not about leaking for Smith units. Did I just get unlucky or are these things no better than the big box store units.

Thanks for any input.

Mike
  2. dj2

dj2 Member

These days, buying a water heater is like going to Vegas.
  3. Milanomike

Milanomike New Member

Ha, sorry to hear that, but thanks for the input. Since I will supposedly get this replaced, of course I have to install, I guess I'll see if my luck improves. Thanks for the input
  4. JerryR

JerryR Member

These are the exact same words used by a friend who was a long time owner of a large family owned plumbing supply house in the NY area. According to him the problem was not brand specific.

JR