a leaky connection solder + thread question

Users who are viewing this thread

jgold47

Reaction score
first thanks for the help on this site that got me this far. I completed a big copper (well for me anyways) a couple of weeks ago thanks to the site.

I have only one spot where there is a leak.

I added a hose bib. I brought copper to the bib then in this order

taped the bib threads with teflon, screwed on copper female fitting, the soldered the fitting onto the supply.

I am sure you are all laughing at something stupid about that I did, but its leaking around the threads.

To fix this, am I better off leaving the soldered connection alone, backing the bib out of the threaded connection, re-taping and resecuring (this will mean screwing up the outside of the house where we had a hard time gettng everything secured and sealed). Or can I heat up the solder joint, tighen the fitting on the inside and be done.

And can you solder with that teflon tape on everything?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I normally solder the MA on the copper pipe, let it cool, and then tape or dope it before screwing it into the hosebib,
I like to have the solder joint on the coupling about six inches away. If tape gets too hot, it can leak at that point.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I would usually sweat a chunk of pipe to any threaded adapter and let it cool off, then I would dope the threads and tighten the threaded adapter onto the bib... That way I know the bib is tight enough and won't need a slight turn to stop a leak and have the hose bib cockeyed.

Once your pipe stub and faucet/hosebib is in place you can measure for your coupling/elbow/etc. and sweat that connection safely away from the threaded portion.

Also as far as fixing this, if you're leaking from the threads and not the sweat connection I wouldn't go anywhere near the threads with heat...

Cut the pipe wherever it's easiest to work on, redo the tape/dope, tighten it on the bib, and use a coupling to mate everything back together.

Attachments

• gold-star.png
    gold-star.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 397
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks