A few issues with my water heater...

Users who are viewing this thread

Wade Lippman

Reaction score
I have a 10 year old State Select induced draft water heater. It well below zero outside, and has been for 24 hours; that is extremely unusual here. The first 6 years it was only used during the summer. Last year I opened it up to clean the flame sensor when it stopped working and was surprised at how much corrosion there was down there; but since I don't see many water heaters it might have been normal.

1)Tonight the shower water was not as hot as usual. The flame looked normal, the air intake seemed normal; the water just wasn't as hot as usual. When I turned the valve all the way, it got really hot, but in the normal position it wasn't. I have it set to the middle setting, and the water measures 135 at the kitchen sink.
Is it possible that the cold water mixing with the hot is colder than normal, so the valve has to be turned hotter to compensate? If not, than what?

2)In looking at the water heater, I noticed a draft off the air inlet when the heater wasn't running. Is that normal?
Could a flapper be put on it so air can go in, but not out? Or is it just a matter that I have some negative pressure for some reason, and air will come in the house somewhere and it might as well be the water heater inlet?

3)While thinking about water heaters, I wondered if it is prudent to replace them proactively; it is 10 year old, maybe it is time to retire it? I moved from my last two houses when the heaters were 15 and 22 years old, so it is probably not an issue, but #1 got me to thinking about it.
It might be cheaper to do at my convenience than in an emergency.
My wife disagrees with me on this, but I expect to live here less than 10 years. I figure it will be just one water heater whether I replace it now or in 2 years. Does any of this make sense?

Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
1.Your explanation makes sense.

2. A friend just had a new 50 gallon Rheem Pro with power vent installed. I was a bit shocked to feel a draft coming out of the top assembly. I would have thought it would have such a flapper.

3. You could install a new one tomorrow and have to replace it 7 years later.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
You didn't state where in NY because water of different areas of NY state or source of water varies around the state. I lived in Cicero, NY for two years and the water from Lake Huron, I swear, was 42 degrees year round. Also, is your water heater in the basement and is it unfinished, non heated and damp? A water heater life expectancy is about the same as a set of tires. Two drivers with the same tires on the same car and one will outlast the other. A water heater is subject to a lot of stress that many do not realize. For one, the temperature of the inlet water. The colder it is the more the water will expand to get it to temperature. If there is no expansion tank, the tank gets placed under more pressure than it should and will fail sooner rather than later. With really cold water like I had in Cicero, the moisture in the heat from the flame would condense on the cold steel tank (bottom) and if in a damp basement it would aggravate the condensation. This might be why you saw a lot of corrosion.

Usually if you hear the water in the tank gurgling from the bottom, this is sediment. It acts like an insulator. Not much you can do about it but replace the water heater. There could be so much sediment that a 40 gal tank might be only 30 gals now. Sediment can really build up over time.

If your water heater is more than ten years old, you're on borrowed time. Many do get 15- 20 years out of a tank but not everyone will get 80,000 miles out of a set of tires. If I were you I replace the tank. A new one will be more efficient, you'll have the hot water when you need it and not have to worry for a long time that the tank might blow a leak. When? In the middle of the night, in the winter, and on a weekend when the city water supply pressure is usually at its highest. Tell the wife if her tires on her car were bald, but they're still round and no flats, then why replace them. The same with a water heater.

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
My gauge is to look at what harm will be done when the heater springs a leak. If it is in an unfinished basement with a floor drain or a sump, it probably won't hurt anything and you are safe to squeeze as many months out of it as you can. It was not uncommon for the older heaters to last 20+ years, but the newer tanks might only last half of that if one is lucky.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks