a different shower problem

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by djs, Jul 17, 2007.

1. djs

djs New Member

My guest bathroom shower has not been used in over a year. When attempting to get it ready for guests I found very little water coming from the faucet. In fact, better pressure from the shower head than from the faucet. :confused:
  2. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

Sounds like your diverter may be stuck.

Is it a tub spout diverter or a diverter valve?
  3. djs

djs New Member

I'm sorry but I don't know the technical terms; To turn on the shower, you lift the diverter on top of the faucet
  4. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

What you're calling the "faucet" is the tub spout. Thus, you have a tub spout diverter.

I believe that is where the problem lies.

Remove the tub spout diverter and see if you have normal pressure coming from the stub-out (the pipe that the spout is connected to).

Look for a hidden set-screw. If you find one, you'll need the correct allen wrench to unscrew it. Then pull off the spout. If there's no set screw, you can unscrew the spout using a large channel locks with a rag underneath (to avoid marring the surface).