82 year old galvanized main into house

Users who are viewing this thread

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Last time I read the code allows the use of Sch 40 PVC as service pipe to the house from the meter. Why use more expensive Type K copper?

Copper has a better and longer track record in most areas.

That and because I'm not paying for it--my warranty service is :)D) and that's what they want to use. I don't want to start a debate here, but I'm not sure I trust plastic in most cases still. Stick with tried and true for essential applications.

Lakee911

Reaction score
FYI, water pressure is at 20psi now and at 10psi with another faucet open. Couple more days ... then I can't wait for a hot shower with lots of water!

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
but I'm not sure I trust plastic in most cases still. Stick with tried and true for essential applications.

PVC and CPVC has become the standard down here. Can't say I hear of too many issues.
Copper was (and may still be) prohibited for interior installations in this town because it developes leaks.

Lakee911

Reaction score
My city states that "service lines must be either Type K soft copper or Division of Water approved poly tubing."

davesnothome

DIY Member
Reaction score
My service ended up getting replaced to the main because I complained to the City. I was spending the money to replace my side of the service.....and on the City side it was 5/8 lead pipe...there was no way I was replacing my side of the service with 3/4 K copper and having lead on the city side. I told them...we are only digging this up once, lets get it all done to the main. They said they did lead testing its within limits.....lalalala...I said what do you call legal limits??? They have a so called (safe zone) no way!!!!!!!!!! I bitched enough, they agreed to replace the City side as well if I done my side. So I have the whole thing new.

Lakee911

Reaction score
Good idea! I just called the city and left message for the inspector to call me. I would like for them to replace their side if it is bad, uses a non-approved material, etc. because I only want to do this once.

What is the likely material here? ... 1923 install

Thanks!

Edit: Just talked to someone at the city. Their records indicate that it is lead. They're not sure if its original or not, but this could have been used until 1943. The other option would have been galvanized.

He also said that under no circumstances would this be replaced unless it is either leaking or unless there is a capital improvement project that would replace the main and all the service taps for a whole area.

Jason

Last edited:

Lakee911

Reaction score
They ended up digging up much more of my yard than I would have liked. Fortunately it got put back together and is in better shape than I thought it would.

The idea was that they would dig up the line in the yard and pull the new line through with the old line. To begin with, they couldn’t find the existing line and once it was located the line broke under the porch when they pulled on it so then they had to go looking for the new line. An old repair coupling (they called it a “Dayton”) had gotten caught on the new porch foundation that I put in a few years ago.

There was so much shale underneath the sidewalk they were unable to get through that as well. They tried a number of times to push a piece of pipe under the walk before they got it to work. I hope that I don’t get any settling under the side walk.

The city side of the line (on the other side of the curb stop) was lead. It was in good shape though. The old line wasn’t as restricted as I thought it would be either. It had only corroded near the curb stop and that is what broke.

I have so much water pressure and water flow now that my bills will probably be huge!

Jason

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks