80 year old septic question....I need your guys opinion!

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Cybermonkey, May 11, 2008.

1. Cybermonkey

Cybermonkey New Member

I was getting ready for my rough in inspection and I noticed the 4 inch cast iron pipe leading into my septic tank was loose. So I dug around the pipe and saw that it was basically sitting there, the mortar that connected it to the tank was broken, so I took off the pipe.
    What do I do now?????
    1. Reconnect the old cast pipe with mortar and call it good.
    2. Connect the old septic with new 4inch ABS and mortar it in(Is this code???).
    3. Connect the old septic with new 4inch ABS and mortar it in and drill a 4 1/2 hole into my foundation to have the system leading to my basement underground.
    I am leaning towards 3 but am skeptical into drilling the hole in a hundered year old foundation.
    Thanks in advance
  2. I'm not a pro plumber, just a long-time DIYer, but I would go with 2.
    If acceptable by local code (call), use either a Fernco coupling or a No-Hub coupling (made for the specific purpose - check a plumbing supply not a big box) to connect the CI with the ABS.
    I use Quickcrete to connect lines to septic tanks.
    Good Luck!
    Mike
  3. moarter it back in

if it worked for 80 years it will probably be all right
    for another 65 or so....

I would suggest leaving it alone unless you want to
    make a manhood contest out of it...

if the 4 inch cast is in good shape ,
    leave it alone
    if it looks bad...switch it out to 4 inch pvc...

find a spot that you feel looks ok and attach onto it
    there, perhaps adding a cleanout tee and plug

you will still have to probably use the
    moarter to make the joint again going into the septic...
  4. Cybermonkey

Cybermonkey New Member

I punched the hole in the wall today and everything seems to line up just right. My question now is, can I mortar 4 inch ABS into the septic????
  5. Yes, you can mortar ABS, PVC, CI, etc. into a septic tank.
    Mike