7 red flashes - York furnace

Users who are viewing this thread

Martin1b

Bill
Reaction score
Hi, I have a York furnace giving me 4 red flashes. It was built near 2005. Not getting any heat. I can see the flame ignite after I cycle power but come down an hour or so later, flame is gone and 4 red flashes. Ideas?

EDIT: Was 7 red flashes. Cleaned the flame sensor and now is 4 red flashes. Thoughts on the 4 red flashes?

Last edited:

Martin1b

Bill
Reaction score
Ok, didn't see that. 4 red says limit switch open. If the limit switch is bad, will it even turn the gas valve on to ignite? I am getting ignition, just not that long.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
High limit means it it getting too hot due to lack of airflow. It is what keeps your house from burning down. Other possibility is fault in switch or circuit. If you do not understand how to test this, it is time to call in a HVAC tech with the tools and knowledge to do it safely.

Martin1b

Bill
Reaction score
My high limit switch stays closed. Burners run sometimes for 10 minutes, sometimes 10 seconds before shutting off. I check during and immediately after and it's closed. I noticed sometimes the outside burner doesn't ignite. Can't really see the carry thru flame on it but not sure if that has bearing on it or not.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you are conducting your test on the PCB connections and you are reading the flash code correctly, it would hint at a fault on the board.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
My high limit switch stays closed. Burners run sometimes for 10 minutes, sometimes 10 seconds before shutting off. I check during and immediately after and it's closed. I noticed sometimes the outside burner doesn't ignite. Can't really see the carry thru flame on it but not sure if that has bearing on it or not.

It sounds like it may be a problem with the whole burner not lighting. Low gas pressure could cause that, but it may be a dirty burner. Or a propane tank in cold temperature. Is it propane ? You never posted the model number.

The Flame sensor may not be getting the proper flame signal and is shutting it down. That is a good thing. The safety is working.

Cleaning the burner may help.

Good Luck on your project. Be careful playing with Gas.

Last edited:

Martin1b

Bill
Reaction score
It's propane. I had the propane company come out and check. He said the propane pressure was 11 and he turned it up to 13. Still an issue. It's a york. Not sure of the name but the model # is GM9S100C16UP11G. Burners look rather rusty and they don't look easy to get out without removing the entire burner box.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks