60"x40" shower base/pan

Users who are viewing this thread

ATLtrumpet

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm currently remodeling my master bath and am looking for a slightly odd sized shower base/pan - 60"x40". I'd prefer not to have a "tile ready" pan, but a pre-finished, (likely) acrylic base. I've managed to find a few online and in stores, but I thought it would be prudent to ask all of you

Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Building a mudbed for a shower isn't really all that hard, and even if you mock up the area and do a trial one, other than the work, the materials are really inexpensive...you could build 3-4 mockups and probably more for the cost of a manufactured shower receptor. There are at least two, often major benefits of building a custom one: most floors are not flat and this easily compensates for that; and, it's rare that the drain is exactly where you need it for a manufactured pan, and this again is easily compensated when doing a custom one. Building a quality, leak proof shower isn't really hard, but it is very detail oriented. There's many more than one way to do it correctly, but once you've chosen a method, it is imperative that you understand and execute the required steps properly for success. Mixing and matching methods can work, but are best left to someone with lots of experience, something a typical homeowner does not have, nor understand the ramifications of making mods to an approved method.

Should you decide to go that route, rather than having to build two mudbeds as would be required for a conventional, clamping ring shower pan, there are numerous waterproofing methods that would allow you to do this with only one mudbed, then a membrane, then tile verses mudbed, liner, mudbed, tile. I've put some info in the Tutorial section, but if you want to pursue this, I suggest you go to www.johnbridge.com.

Reaction score
"acrylic base" showers have a typical service life of 10-12 years (but I have seem them fail as quick as 3), and a "tile ready" pan like Schluter Kerdi Shower Kit with good tiles and Mapei Kerapoxy CQ will give 50+ years.

I don't know if you are a homeowner or a investment landlord, but I'll leave it to you to decide with the facts.

And people really should stop buying stuff like this online. All is dandy with dollars saved, until stuff goes wrong that cost thousands in damage.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks