60" TUB IN A 60 1/2" SPACE

Users who are viewing this thread

TKE381

Reaction score
I am attempting to replace a 60" steel tub in a space that is 60 1/2" between the studs. Is this even possible? There was only drywall behind one end (opposite the faucet). I know I can cut the thing and get it out, but I'm replacing it with a 60" fiberglass tub. Will I be able to get it in there? Seems to me that when I try to turn it from standing up to its installed position, I'll need additional clearance to turn it. I need help in explaining how this is done before I destroy the old tub. :confused:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Replacing a tub usually involves more demolition than just cutting out the old one. Often at a minimum, the lav/vanity and/or toilet will have to be temporarily removed. You are correct that you cannot stand the tub up vertically and then tilt it down. You must bring it into the room in a horizontal mode, although it can be turned so the front apron is up. To have clearance to move it into position, some drywall, door jam mouding, etc. may have to be removed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks