6" Certainteed Pipe splitting

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by crw1957, Apr 28, 2008.

1. crw1957

crw1957 New Member

I have made 5 repairs to a 6" water line since October. The line is 6" SCH 40 Certainteed pipe. The line is splitting at various locations. We install a clamp and cover it up. The line feeds a 130 unit apartment complex. The pressure fluctuates from 55 to 75 PSI. Any ideas?
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Time to replace the line?
  3. kordts

kordts In the Trades

What is this, metal or plastic?
  4. crw1957

crw1957 New Member

This is a plastic line. Yes, it may be time to replace however, I am trying to do what I can to avoid that cost for my customer.
  5. Cass

Cass Plumber

He needs to bite the bullet before you have a catastrophic failure.

Better to have it down when every one is expecting it rather than suddenly when it will be extremely annoying.

The cost may be even higher if it is done on an emergency basis.
  6. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

With the repair approach eventually you will get that whole new line. In the end the piecemeal replacement will cost far more than just doing it right the first time.

What is this clamp you are installing?