5810 - going from salt to potassium

Users who are viewing this thread

Sdsvtdriver

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Fleck 5810 water softener currently using salt. I'd like to switch to potassium for a bit and see how I like it vs. salt, even though it is more expensive. I have some hose bibs that haven't been bypassed yet and watering plants is difficult.

Will the valve require any adjustments? Other than letting the salt run out of the brine tank, is there anything I have to do? Do I need to disconnect the brine tank and wash it out or anything?

thanks!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
You can simply let the tank run low then add the potassium.

As to programming... I would recommend using the custom programming function and reprogram it as a Brine Fill First but... this is not always necessary.

Using potassium can be complex but to simplify it, just add a few minutes the brine fill timing and you should do ok. I am working on a DFFF programming cheat sheet for the 5810 next week. If all goes well I will post it for you.

Edit: do you have the XTR2 or SXT? If you have the XTR 2 then programming the valve for DFFF is actually kind of fun. The touch screen allows you to do anything you want... do you want six backwash cycles and three brine cycles... you can do it.. :)

JRC3

Reaction score
FYI if you have a Sam's Club it might be worth a membership if you don't already have one. Morton Potassium Chloride Pellets - 40 lb. bag $20.16. Cheap enough that I almost considered it instead of going RO for drinking water. Another thing about Sam's is their salt is about 0.50 cheaper and comes in a 44# bag instead of a 40. Morton Rust Remover salt is $1.60 less for 40# than any of the box stores.

Sdsvtdriver

Reaction score
You can simply let the tank run low then add the potassium.

As to programming... I would recommend using the custom programming function and reprogram it as a Brine Fill First but... this is not always necessary.

Using potassium can be complex but to simplify it, just add a few minutes the brine fill timing and you should do ok. I am working on a DFFF programming cheat sheet for the 5810 next week. If all goes well I will post it for you.

Edit: do you have the XTR2 or SXT? If you have the XTR 2 then programming the valve for DFFF is actually kind of fun. The touch screen allows you to do anything you want... do you want six backwash cycles and three brine cycles... you can do it.. :)

Thanks. I have the XTR2. :)

Sdsvtdriver

Reaction score
FYI if you have a Sam's Club it might be worth a membership if you don't already have one. Morton Potassium Chloride Pellets - 40 lb. bag $20.16. Cheap enough that I almost considered it instead of going RO for drinking water. Another thing about Sam's is their salt is about 0.50 cheaper and comes in a 44# bag instead of a 40. Morton Rust Remover salt is $1.60 less for 40# than any of the box stores.

Just signed up for one of their promo deals. I'll check it out next time I'm up that way! Thanks!

ditttohead

Reaction score
The XTR2 has custom programming. Let me know when your salt is low and I will go over the proper custom programming with you.

Sdsvtdriver

Reaction score
The XTR2 has custom programming. Let me know when your salt is low and I will go over the proper custom programming with you.

It's getting there. I have some unabsorbed salt sitting at the bottom of the brine tank under the water level. I'm told that I can add potassium anytime and the XTR2 will automatically adjust. Perhaps the vendor's programming can account for the change from salt to KCI?

Reach4

Reaction score
It's getting there. I have some unabsorbed salt sitting at the bottom of the brine tank under the water level. I'm told that I can add potassium anytime and the XTR2 will automatically adjust. Perhaps the vendor's programming can account for the change from salt to KCI?
It's past "there".

The teller was mistaken.

It would be much better to add KCl now before the next regen, even before you change the settings. You will still change need to change the settings, but regenerating with a tank almost empty of salt is not going to soften your water.

Last edited:

Sdsvtdriver

Reaction score
It's past "there".

The teller was mistaken.

It would be much better to add KCl now before the next regen, even before you change the settings. You will still change need to change the settings, but regenerating with a tank almost empty of salt is not going to soften your water.

Sigh. I got that info from the company that installed the unit. The person who answered the phone stated they themselves switch between salt and KCI without changing any settings.

Noted. Will pick up some KCI tomorrow. Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
Ditttohead will probably prescribe that you switch to brine-first. That will be particularly important if your brine tank is not in air conditioned space in a hot area. You will also probably increase the BF time.

It would probably be cheaper to add an un-softened hose bib or two.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Reaction score
No changes are required. The changes are "recommended".

If you go into the master programming you will see that the XTR2 has fully programmable cycles. You can have 10 backwashes with pauses in between if you want.

I would program the valve with a brine fill first, but add a couple minutes from your original setting,
pause 1-2 hours,
brine draw for 1 hour
Backwash for 6-8 minutes
Rapid rinse for 5 minutes.
Done.

Now this obviously open to interpretation and everyone will have an opinion on each cycle.

This is the settings we would use as a generic setting that will work in the majority of applications.

Sdsvtdriver

Reaction score
Ditttohead will probably prescribe that you switch to brine-first. That will be particularly important if your brine tank is not in air conditioned space in a hot area. You will also probably increase the BF time.

It would probably be cheaper to add an un-softened hose bib or two.
The unsoftened hose bibs are planned for sure - this is more or less a holdover and experiment. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks